Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

Yummy garden lentil stew

Quite often I soak lentils with no plans. It just makes me happy to have the possibility of eating freshly cooked lentils without having a mal plan.

I am completely not a meal plan person.

When I think before sleeping about breakfast that is an exception. I am way to driven and drawn by improvisation that I just can't figure out what to make, even for a party. I just make it.

Yesterday I just made lentils, with some veggies from our garden. Did I mention we can't get past all that zucchini? When we think we are finishing someone gives us some. And tomatoes. So many great tomatoes that the fellow gardeners throw away in the compost heap. Onion greens. Why would anyone plant chives and onions if they are going to throw away the onion greens which are, I must say, so crazily similar I would find it hard to distinguish in a soup?

I recommend cracking the coriander with a mortar and pestle but if you are like me and don't have one (and I call myself a cook), put them in a chopping board and crack them with your knuckles or whatever works.

Garden lentil stew

Yield: 3-5 portions
Ingredients
  • 1 cup lentils (soak for a few hours, preferrably more than 6)
  • 1 tbsp coriander seeds, cracked
  • 3 carrots, chopped (a bit more than 1/2 cm, 1/4 in)
  • 1 yellow (or green) zucchini, cubed approximately 2.5 cm, 1 in)
  • 1 stalk onion greens (chives is also great), thinly sliced
Cooking Directions
  1. Cook the lentils with the coriander, until very soft but not yet mushy. Check at 20-25 mins (depends on your stove and your lentils.
  2. Add the carrots and stir.
  3. After two minutes add the zucchini, stir.
  4. Let the zucchini get soft. Add salt to taste.
  5. Add the onion greens, stir and remove pot from the fire.
  6. Let the pot sit, covered, for at least 15 minutes, a great way to blend taste a bit more in any stew.
  7. Serve, drizzle with plenty of olive oil.

2 comments:

  1. I love stews! My mom cooked it last week and I could not stop eating it. Your recipe sounds great! Omomomom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous comfort food! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete