Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Tantalizing leftovers recipe, or pizza rice :-)

Cheesy goodness
That was one of the only two ways my mother would get me to eat rice as a child. I was and still am a picky eater, even though my pickiness has changed through the years (I still do run away from pickled cucumbers!).

I like foods that taste real. Tasting real for me is using only ingredients that are unprocessed (veggies!) or very little processed (cheese). Things that you throw together and make you ask yourself why haven't you made that before, and why on earth people buy boxed macaroni and cheese and why do they eat it after the first bite (hunger is the best pickle, they say).

Well, food taste apart, I think everyone needs to figure out what they really love. I have been in culinary blindness for the first 17 years of my life, because all I ate was made in the same way with th same ingredients. And then I took my little backpack and went out in the world and learned what to do with veggies (about time!). I was already interested in healthy foods, and put my foot in to test the waters before I went roaming around, but it was still fairly limited, and that is one of the things that I felt like keeping from then (with my own addition, my "secret" for nearly everything that tastes good, ahem, veggies!)

This is easy like boiling an egg. You can make that with buckwheat or quinoa too, it is a great way to introduce these foods into your life if you find them odd tasting. Do not underestimate their taste power when you add tomato sauce!


Rice and veggies casserole

Ingredients
  • 1 part leftover rice (I used brown)
  • 1 part veggies (leftover or frozen mix)
  • 1/2 part cheese in cubes
  • Tomato sauce
  • Herbs of your choice
Cooking Directions
  1. Mix everything in a casserole pan (hopefully containing one of the leftovers already to save some dishes!).
  2. Turn on the oven at 350F (180C) and bake for 25 minutes or until cheese melts.
  3. Serve warm.
Well, that is it :-)

I think I start getting the hang of making food photos but there is still a long way to go. Living and learning!

3 comments:

  1. This rice and veggies casserole looks so simple so make. It's so yummy. I am a big fan of rice as I'm living in China so when I get bored with plain rice, I'll make this casserole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy it :-)

      I'm a big fan of Chinese food so I will be experimenting with that a bit more in the future. I believe real Chinese food is quite different from what we get in Europe, you are probably having heaps of nice foods we never thought about before. That is one of the things I love the most when traveling.

      Looking forward to do Jordan and Georgia one day, perhaps next year - not only for the food but it is a strong reason.

      Delete
  2. It looks like a great quick & easy supper. I think I'm going to try it with quinoa instead of rice and add some protein (chicken or shrimp) for my husband.

    ReplyDelete