Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Veggies and pasta stew/soup


The delicious, comforting richness of tomato soup with pasta reminds me of one trip I had with my mother. I think it was the same one when I got the toilet clogged in the hotel and, failing to mention that it was my fault, we actually got an upgrade to a better room :-)

And when I was a child I only ate soup that had pasta in it. No meat. No veggies other than carrot and potato. And definitely no greens. Now my menu is quite richer (especially in veggies), since I have been experimenting with food for six years five of those vegetarian).

I love making things in huge pots; I think this can serve six!

I had put more liquid, I just wanted to show how pretty the veg=gies were :-)
Veggie stew

Ingredients
  • 2 cups canned chopped tomato
  • 3 carrots, chopped
  • 3 onions, peeled and chopped
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped (a bit of the leaves too)
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 bit oregano
  • 1 cup elbow pasta
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
Cooking Directions
  1. Fry onions and garlic with oregano in olive oil, in medium high fie, stirring frequently until onions get transparent.
  2. Add celery and keep frying until it starts having a stronger green color.
  3. Add carrot, fry a bit, add the tomato and some water (up to 5 cups to begin with).
  4. Wait for it to boil and add the pasta.
  5. When it boils well, check if there is enough water. To make a watery soup add at least 2 more cups hot water (like from thee tap).
  6. When pasta is al dente, remove and let it sit a few minutes (if you cook the pasta until soft it will be cooked even further since the pot is still hot).
  7. Serve :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment